I have adopted some new policies and ways of working to protect myself and my family from the risk of COVID-19:
- I only work remotely
- I look after my son on some weekdays, rather than sending him to nursery. This means my working pattern is now something like:
- Monday 8am – 5pm
- Tuesday OFF
- Wednesday 1pm – 5pm
- Thursday 8am – 5pm
- Friday 8am – 12pm
- I’m flexible. We all need to be.
- I’ll do 1-2-1 video calls with all the people I work with, to build personal connections
Conditions I like to work in
- I like a mixture of being in and out of the office. I’m supportive of remote-working, but I generally prefer to be around people as I find it easier to check ideas.
- I need some quiet time to get things done.
The times/hours I like to work
- Having a young child now, my working pattern has switched to earlier in the day. My week generally looks like:
- Monday 8am – 4pm
- Tuesday 8am – 4pm
- Wednesday 9am – 5pm
- Thursday 8am – 4pm
- I take Fridays off to spend time with my son, at the moment. I generally keep in touch during the day, but can’t guarantee I’ll be available. So I might chip in, but I also may be unable to respond to things quickly.
- I’ve cut back on working on evenings and weekends. But if I do, I aim to not send anything out at these times.
The best ways to communicate with me
- Not a fan of email. Trying to only check it twice a day. I practice Inbox Zero, and will always get to your mail eventually.
- Slack is good, but remember it is asynchronous.
- My phone’s usually on silent, but text me if you need something urgently.
The ways I like to receive feedback
- Face-to-face please. I like to play things back to check I’ve understood. This could be a video-call though, if we’re not in the same place.
- I’d rather broach any disagreements, than let them fester.
Things I need
- I need time and space to think about decisions.
- To be included in conversations. I don’t always force my way in.
- The nature of my personality (dominant green colour energy), means that I care about what other people think. So I value other peoples’ opinions as I formulate ideas.
Things I struggle with
- Arbitrary commitments; I much prefer to work towards genuine outcomes.
- I dislike corporate process when it serves little value.
- I get frustrated by tribalistic rivalries, when they get in the way.
- Completely losing sight of things I’ve delegated. Please let me know how things are going.
Things I love
- Solving problems at a whiteboard is ace.
- Variety. I enjoy working across different roles and teams. Don’t pigeonhole me.
- I value bringing people and teams together towards a common goal.
- Sketching things out on paper helps to get things out of my head.
- Helping to figure out the bigger picture is important to me.
Other things to know about me
- I prefer small groups to large meetings, but can do both.
- If you need access to my calendar, just ask. Please respect the things that are already booked in.
- I don’t drink tea or coffee.